From scripture to fairy tale, cartoons to cyberbullying, the raw power of stories to inspire and enchant, spread lies or to inform, simply has no equal. THE ART OF STORYTELLING: Lies, Enchantment, Humor & Truth is the American Visionary Art Museum's brand-new, supremely original exhibition featuring embroidery, diorama, sculpture, film, graffiti, and PostSecret confession—promoting all manner of acute 'visual listening' and delight for the whole family.
School Programs & Tours
The American Visionary Art Museum
Located in Baltimore's Inner Harbor
800 Key Highway
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Schedule a School Visit in 5 Easy Steps:
- Review our FAQ FOR SCHOOL GROUP VISITS and choose some possible dates and times for your visit to the museum. Remember that we are open Tuesday–Sunday, 10am-6pm (Closed on Mondays) and Group Workshops (Download our 2012-13 Workshop Menu) are available Tuesday–Friday, 10am-5pm.
- Fill out our GROUP VISIT REQUEST FORM and email it to Beka Bridges, AVAM's Group Visits Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 full weeks before your planned visit date.
- Recruit some Chaperones and give them each a copy of HOW TO BE A VISIONARY CHAPERONE and AVAM's MUSEUM GUIDELINES. Start checking off items on the GROUP LEADER CHECKLIST.
- Receive a confirmation packet and letter from AVAM. Remember to bring this letter with you on the day of your visit.
- Enjoy your visit to the museum and get ready to be inspired by some fantastic Visionary Art!
PDF files may require Adobe Reader
Group Admission Prices
Adult Groups of 10 or More:
- Adults: $10 per person
School Groups of 10 or More:
- Students (K-12): $6 per person
- College Students: $8 per person
- Title One Schools: FREE
- Workshops: $2 per student, Free for Title One schools
- Adults/Chaperones and Seniors: $10 per person
Adults and Chaperones for groups of 70+ get in FREE (school age groups only)* 1 Adult Chaperone is required for every 10 students, if your group is younger than 8 years old, you will need 1 Adult Chaperone for every 5 students.
* The maximum group size the museum can accommodate is 100-120 people per group
* Group Admission Prices are only available for groups that have confirmed their visit to the museum 2 weeks in advance and received a confirmation packet.
For Group Reservations, please take a look at our FAQ & fill out our GROUP VISIT REQUEST FORM, then email it to our Group Visits Coordinator, Beka Bridges, email@example.com or call 410.244.1900 x216 for more info.
The Museum is OPEN Tuesday–Sunday from 10am to 6pm. (Closed Mondays).
Please Note: Workshops are only available Tuesday–Friday, 10am to 5pm.
*NO PHOTOGRAPHY, BACKPACKS, OR FOOD/DRINK ITEMS PERMITTED IN THE MUSEUM.
Our wonderful volunteer docents (tour guides) can be available to take your group through a tour of AVAM's current exhibition and our Permanent Collection. If you would like to request a docent for your group's visit, please contact our Group Visits Coordinator, Beka Bridges: 410.244.1900 x216, or firstname.lastname@example.org, (be sure to take a look at our FAQ & fill out our Group Visit Request Form first). There is no additional charge for a guided tour, but we ask that you place your request AT LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE the date of your group's visit.
PLEASE NOTE: If you request a docent for your visit we will do our very best to provide one, however, your group is NOT guranteed a docent, even if you request one. Our docents are volunteers and are unable to provide tours for every group that places a request. The American Visionary Art Museum is designed to be self-guided. If we are cannot provide a docent for your visit, we have provided extensive wall text, scavenger hunts for students and information about our artists available at kiosks throughout the galleries.
Buses and Vans can use the service lane in front of the main building on Key Highway for drop-off and pick-up ONLY. Buses, Vans and all other vehicles are encouraged to park at the street-metered parking on Key Highway or Covington Street.
Payment can be made prior to or on the day of your group's visit at our Front Desk. To recieve the discounted group admission rates, you must pay for your entire group in one transaction. We accept Cash, Check, MasterCard, or Visa.
The American Visionary Art Museum invites you and your students to tap your intuition and imagination. Play with unconventional methods used by visionary artists whose work is featured in our exhibit, and make your own extraordinary creations from ordinary materials. PLEASE NOTE: Workshops must be requested AT LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE your group's visit and cannot be guranteed.
If you have any questions or need more information about AVAM's Workshops, please contact Beka Bridges (410.244.1900 x216, or email@example.com).