Kinetic Sculpture Race
21st Annual Kinetic Sculpture Race
Join us for the 21st Annual Kinetic Sculpture Race: Wheel-ality TV
- When: Saturday, May 4, 2019
- Time: 9:30am Opening Ceremonies, 10am Race Start
- Where: Begins & ends @ AVAM (800 Key Hwy, Baltimore)
- Cost: FREE for Spectators!
- Route Map: >> Download the route map & spectators' guide
From the American Visionary Art Museum—a race through Baltimore of wacky, imaginative, TOTALLY HUMAN-POWERED WORKS OF ART, DESIGNED TO TRAVEL ON LAND, THROUGH MUD, AND OVER DEEP BALTIMORE INNER HARBOR WATERS, constructed out of used bicycles, gears, and parts, created by a lunatic genius who tinkers around in the garage or backyard (do you know this person?)!
The machines can be simple, small crafts, piloted by only one brave soul, or they can be over 50 feet long, extremely well-engineered, sophisticated vehicles powered by a team of pilots. Pilots ("Kinetinauts") compete for the most coveted GRAND MEDIOCRE EAST COAST CHAMPION AWARD (finishes right in the middle), and the highly prized NEXT TO THE LAST AWARD (finishes, well, next-to-last), and other serious trophies including ART, ENGINEERING, BEST BRIBES and more. Download the route map and spectators' guide
- 9:30am Opening Ceremonies with Blessing of De Feet at AVAM
- 10:00am Le Mans Race Start from AVAM
- 10:15am 1st Checkpoint atop Federal Hill
- 11:15am-1pm The Water Entry at the boat ramp at Canton Waterfront Park
- 1:15pm-3pm The not-so-quick-Sand Pit and Mud Pit Obstacle in Patterson Park
- 6:00pm-7pm Awards Ceremony at AVAM
For more information—including past race photos & inspiration—visit KineticBaltimore.com.
Volunteer for the Race!
WE NEED YOU! Volunteer for the Kinetic Sculpture Race!
Attend a fun-filled Volunteer meeting, then be a part of the kinetic action on Saturday, May 4! Attend one of the meetings:
- Option 1: Wednesday, April 17: 6:30–8:30pm; or
- Option 2: Sunday, April 28: 1pm–3pm; and
- Race Day: Saturday, May 4, ALL DAY
WANTED: The Brave, The Talented, The Mediocre, The Unsuspecting Few... KINETIC VOLUNTEERS to help in the grueling, all day, general insanity of the Kinetic Sculpture Race, for nothin' but the glory on SATURDAY MAY 4! Enjoy refreshments while you learn more about the history of AVAM's Kinetic Sculpture Race & get the scoop from some veteran volunteers & Kinetinauts on what each volunteer duty entails, then SIGN UP for a job!
In search of: General Anything Doers! Crowd Engagers! Number Nerds! Experienced Boaters! Medics on Wheels! Clean-up Crews! Safety Inspectors! Race Facilitators! Mud Pitters! Kops! Checkpoint Charlies! Canton Water Clean-up Crew! Finish Line Holders! And more!
Kinetic Rule: No matter the job, no matter the weather, you'll still have to dress funny. No whiners!
Questions About Volunteering?
Don't be shy! Contact Sara Pike (410.244.1900 x216, or email@example.com)
Share your #Kinetic photos, video & more with us!
- FACEBOOK: Like AVAM
- INSTAGRAM: Follow the_avam & use the #Kinetic
- TWITTER: @TheAVAM
- YOUTUBE: AVAM's Youtube Channel
2019 Kinetic Sculpture Race Entry Form:
Do You Have the Right Stuff? Download the OFFICIAL 2019 ENTRY FORM HERE! Entry forms, waiver forms, and entry fees should be turned in no later than April 1, 2019 to: Baltimore Kinetic Sculpture Race, c/o Kinetic Mother Theresa at American Visionary Art Museum, 800 Key Highway, Baltimore, MD 21230. NO ACE ENTRIES AFTER APRIL 1! NO LATE ENTRIES ON RACE WEEK!
NEED SOME HELP WITH YOUR VEHICLE? Check out Kinetic Baltimore's indispensable HOW TO BUILD A KINETIC SCULPTURE guide, some assembly required.